Golf Cart Battery Maintenance and Charging Tips
The automobile doesn't have the same golf batteries. If you own your golf batteries, it’s good to know the basic advice on the battery maintenance. Depending on the Golf Cart you may have up to 4 to 8 batteries. Golf cart batteries are mostly deep cycle batteries that discharge to lower voltage without damaging the battery. And most of the Golf battery comes in 6 volts and are designed to work on 12 and 24-volt system. The battery power is measured in Volt and not in Volt. The more the amperes a battery can produce at a particular time determine how the battery will last. The golf battery provides the amount of amperage they are rated for. And as you use the voltage the battery voltage will drop to 12volt to the rating of the Golf cart battery. After this, the battery performance decreases until you need to recharge the battery. Having confidence in your battery begins with how to charge, clean and maintain it properly. The review below will provide you with various answers on how to go about the maintenance of your battery.
What is a Deep Cycle Battery?
You should know that the battery found in your Golf Cart is different from that in your car though they may look similar. The battery in the Golf cart is called deep cycle battery. Below are things you should know about deep cycle battery:
- They are also called wet batteries
- The battery is not maintenance free
- Their electrolytes are water solution and lead acid
- They produce electric current for an extended period of time
- The battery will consume a good amount of water for its life span.
The one in your car are shallow cycle battery and produce and produce current for a short period.
Before you work on your battery make sure you put on your protective wears, gloves, and goggles. You should verify that the wrench is wrapped with electric tape because you are working on electric current, and preventing leakage of current. This can cause an explosion and severe injuries.
Charging Golf Cart Batteries
Charging your battery is good for optimal performance and battery life. If you want the best out of your Golf Cart battery, make sure it's fully charged. Below are various steps on how to charge your Golf Cart Battery:
- Make sure you are familiar with different part of your battery from the manual
- Make sure you recharge the battery after use
- Check the connections
- Make sure your battery is charged in a ventilated area
- The lead plate must be submerged
- Ensure the vent are tighten
Golf Cart is prone to failure and needs replacement at some point. If you notice that your battery and its not working properly you will need to take it to a professional. You may have issue trouble shooting which is why we will recommend you to take it to a dealer.
Golf Cart Battery Maintenance
Golf cart battery maintenance is imperative. Monthly battery maintenance is good for the proper battery lifespan. Lack of or poor of battery maintenance can lead to premature battery replacement. What is the lifespan of a Golf Cart Battery? This is also dependent on how you maintain your Golf Cart battery. The lifespan is between 6-10 years. A monthly maintenance schedule is a good place to start because it will contribute to the lifespan of your battery. The battery maintenance program should be as follows:
- Check for wire connections and terminal leakage
- You should clean the battery and the body
- The electrolyte level of the battery should be checked
You should be aware that there will be a time you will need your golf battery almost every day. This means that you should prepare for the winter period.
Why is Neutralizing Battery Acid and Cleaning Essential?
Neutralizing and cleaning are important for the battery to function optimally. The cycle charging releases hydrogen into the air during charging. This is a process term gassing. These hydrogen droplets can cause to the battery. This is why it's important than ever to use acid neutralizers and remove corrosion from batteries by spraying them with Baking powder solution. You can fill the plastic spray bottle with one liter of water + 2 teaspoons of baking soda If you use ordinary water, it will only spread the acid to another surface. And other electric components should be covered before spraying. The steps to neutralize and clean your batteries are listed below:
- Tighten all the vents
- Allow the baking powder solution to settle for some time
- Use a brush or soft cloths to clean the batteries
- Rinse the cell with the water to clean it of the neutralizing solution
- Clean battery terminals
- And connect the battery terminals back.
Why Is Battery Watering Important?
Golf cart batteries require some level of electrolyte to perform at its best. The solution is the combination of the electrolyte and the solution. The charging the process will allow the battery to consume a considerate amount of water during its lifetime. The rule of watering is overfilling and allowing little water in the battery cells. The correct level for the water is fundamental. And too much of water can cause the electrolyte to overflow during the process of charging. Water guns will prevent the water from spilling during charging. This will indicate appropriate filling position. And little water will leave some part of the battery to expose which will lead to the damage of the computer while charging. The only time you can add water to the cell is when it's not covered. And regular water should not be used because it contains constituents that can damage the battery. The only recommended water is distilled water. Below is the step in watering:
- Ensure proper water level in each cell every month
- Open the vent cap and look inside to check the water level
- Only distilled water should be used
- If the plate is not covered add a little water before charging the battery
- The vent should be verified for the water level after charging
We have various ways of determining the battery life. The easiest thing to do for your Golf Cart battery is to take it to the authorized dealer. However, you can check with the hydrometer. The hydrometer tests the state of the battery cell. The hydrometer measures the density of the electrolyte by way of gravity. The battery with higher specific gravity will have higher charge rate.
How Long Does It Take To Charge A Golf Cart ?
It can vary greatly on how long does it take to charge a golf cart battery. There are so many different brands out there that have golf chargers and also the quality of the golf cart battery can come into play as well.
- The 36 Volt Golf Cart Battery Charger For EZ-GO is a quick charge golf cart battery charger that can charge batteries that have an amp hour rating (20 hour rate) of from 80 to 175 amp hours.
- 36 Volt Battery Charger Golf Cart 36V Charger For Ez Go Club Car was made for overnight charging and usually takes around 3-6 hours.
- Club Car PowerDrive 48 Volt Golf Cart Battery Charger Round 3 Pin Connector DPI will outpace other 25 amp chargers but if your cart is newer this will not work for you.
- TOP Club Car Ez Go 48 Volt Golf Cart Battery Charger is an aftermarket one and takes around 4-6 hours for charging.
- 36 Volt Golf Car Cart Battery Charger SB-50 Connector quick charge has about the same has number in terms of speeds to charge.
- 36v 36 volt EZ-GO EZGO MARATHON 83-94 SB50 Golf Cart Battery Charger Yamaha 4-6 hours as well.
How to charge golf cart batteries with 12 volt charger?
You first want to make sure your cart is a 12 volt one by checking under the hood. Once you have that all set than I would purchase this
Quick Charge 12 Volt 25 Amp Crowsfoot Golf Cart Battery Charger
It is the best 12 volt charger I have ever used and for the price you cannot beat it. You want to make sure your purchasing the 12 volt one because others can ruin your cart or battery.
Were To Buy Golf Cart Batteries?
There are a lot of places to purchase golf cart batteries on the web and also you can purchase at your local pro shop. Some of those places have batteries in stock.
You can purchase at walmart, advanced auto group, online golf stores etc.
This process of maintenance may be stressful, but you will be able to enjoy your battery for a very long time. However, if you are not convenient maintaining the battery locate an authorized Golf cart battery personnel to help.